From: AUDITORY - Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Christopher Haworth
Sent: Wednesday, 31 August 2016 9:33 PM
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AUDITORY] history of hearing science reference

Dear Valeriy,

Some good 'internalist' accounts of hearing science history and developments, akin to the Neuhoff, can be found in the below references.

Davis, Audrey B., and Uta C. Merzbach. Early Auditory Studies: Activities in the Psychology
Laboratories of American Universities. Washington: Smithsonian Institution
Press, 1975.

Davis, Hallowell. “Psychological and Physiological Acoustics: 1920-1942.” Journal of the
Acoustical Society of America 61, no. 2 (1977): 264-66.

Plomp, Reinier. The Intelligent Ear: On the Nature of Sound Perception. Mahwah,
N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2002.

And to the above references to Sterne, Mills and Hui I would add David Trippet and Alex Rehding's work. Cultural and critical histories of hearing science are on the rise at the moment...

Best wishes,

Christopher

Christopher Haworth, Ph.D.

Early Career Cheney Fellow in Culture