Re: Acoustic stealth awareness - hunting for papers

It seems to me that an interesting angle is that it’s not just an auditory sensory acuity problem. It’s a biofeedback problem, right enough, but cognitive aspects are important here – there are many people with good hearing that are unaware of their own acoustic output (children, for instance – and many adults).

So, although you might be interested in people with depleted sensory acuity, who therefore couldn’t do what many ‘normal’ people can do – hear the reflected sound of their own footsteps, which ongoing feedback can be used to calibrate ones sensitivity, useful in stealth situations – the question might be “can one use any other feedback route in stealth situations?” – could be a visual metering, for arguments’ sake, or haptic input. You’re actually interested in a fairly narrow dynamic range, I think, but it’s complicated by acoustic factors – low-level sounds can carry; for instance, footfalls on metal floors or some concrete constructions can cause the material to behave as a drum, with resonance over a large volume of material (meaning that inverse square law wouldn’t apply). So, monitoring for amplitude at the stealthy subject wouldn’t provide good predictions.

Also, there’s a ‘noise floor’ aspect to this, and someone with depleted hearing might not be fully cognizant of the noise floor?

I’ll be interested to know what you manage to turn up

Cheers

ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox

Senior Lecturer in Perception