Re: Wireless Audio for Research

Hi David,

If your target is 2ch-audio stream, the use of a wireless headphone
system could be one choice.

I had tested some wireless headphones a couple of years ago. They were
RS-220(details are unknown), RS-160 (Kleer), and PX360BT(Bluetooth). The
propagation signal delay was 21ms with RS-220, 46ms with RS-160, and
61ms with PX360BT. (Wireless microphone system must have shorter
transmission delay than wireless headphones system.)
All the wireless headphones tested showed some additional noises when
they were powered ON. Although the noise levels were not so high, some
were audible. The origin of the noises is likely to be the power supply
circuit of the receiver unit. I've not confirmed it yet.

With regard to RS-220, qualities of its wireless audio signal
transmission system were OK; frequency range was 20 kHz and flat,
electrical cross talks were small and harmonic distortions were low
enough. And it can handle analog and digital inputs. Unfortunately,
RS-220 is not available in the market nowadays.

I took the RX-PCBs away from RS-220 body and reassembled them in a small
box to use it with any headphones. Then I have now wireless HDA200. I'm
not using it for psychoacoustical experiments though.

Tatsuya Hirahara

On Sun, 7 Dec 2014 01:13:05 +0000
"Landsberger, David" <David.Landsberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about wireless audio connections
> for research.  We are running our spectral resolution task (SMRT;
> smrt.tigerspeech.com) on a small windows 8.1 tablet.  It would be nice
> for the audio to be transferred wireless to the speakers.  I am
> considered about degrading the signal quality.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this without adding signal noise or lossy
> data compression?  I understand bluetooth is not acceptable.  What
> about  using airplay, miracast, or chromecast?  Has anyone had luck /
> experience with these technologies for wireless PC audio streaming of
> quality acceptable for psychoacoustic research?
>
> Thanks,
> David

平原 達也
富山県立大学 工学部 知能デザイン工学科