Re: Moe Bergman's work on interrupted speech

Dear Stuart, Deniz and all,

After reading this email I thought of a study I discussed a few years ago with  Harry Levitt that seemed to fit the description.  I saw it in print a while back but couldn't locate it now, so I emailed Harry.  Harry's reply was, as always, informative and interesting and, with his permission, I am copying it below.  In addition to Moe's book and the chapter suggested by Deniz there are some other papers Harry mentioned (and sent copies which I can share off the list).

Regards,

Valeriy

from Harry's email:
"...There are five papers relevant to your query, three of which are attached.
1.  I. believe the paper you are referring to is the one with HoffmanIt describes a method for investigating the perception of interrupted speech. Katz, Bocca, Calearo and others used between-ear switched speech as a diagnostic tool in evaluating auditory processing disorders. The problem with this early work on between-ear switched speech was poor precision in controlling the switching process. We can do considerably better today with computer-controlled digitized speech. This is an area in which I have great interest and I would be very interested in your research in this area. A copy of the paper is attached.
A Note on Simultaneous and Interleaved Masking.  I. Hoffman, and H. Levitt.  J. Communication Disorders, 11, 207-213, l978.
2. The paper with Hoffman did not investigate age-related effects. I think the method of comparing interleaved and simultaneous masking of binaural switched speech is a particularly sensitive technique for investigating age-related auditory processing deficits because of the large body of physiological and behavioral data showing a substantial age-related deficit in temporal processing. My book chapter with Oden, et al. introduces the concept of age-related auditory processing deficits, as opposed to auditory processing disorders. A disorder is abnormal, an age-related deficit is a normal aspect of aging. It is not a disorder. Moe's research is relevant here in that he showed that the perception of interrupted speech was much poorer than other forms of distorted speech. Moe's data is cited in this chapter as an example of a normal age-related deficit in auditory processing that is particularly severe. The chapter covers a lot of material and this particular point is often overlooked by researchers dealing with interrupted speech. A copy of this chapter is attached.
Computer-based training methods for age-related APD: Past, present, and future, H. Levitt, C. Oden, H. Simon, C. Noack & A. Lotze. Chapter 30 in Auditory Processing Disorders: Assessment, Management and Treatment: Second Edition, D Geffner and D Swain, (Eds.), San Diego:Plural Press, 2012
 3. I believe that the following paper is Moe's first publication in a peer-reviewed journal on age-related perception of distorted speech, including interrupted speech. A copy of the paper is attached.
Age Related Decrement in Hearing for Speech . Sampling and Longitudinal Studies, M. Bergman, V. G.Blumenfeld,  D. Cascardo, B. Dash, H. Levitt, M. K. Margulies, , J. Gerontol., 31(5), 533-538, 1976.
4.. Moe summarizes his experiments on age-related perception of distorted speech in his book, Aging and the Perception of Speech, M Bergman, 1980. The book is available from Amazon
5. The following book chapter reviews the state of the art on age-related speech-understanding in the late 1970s. Much of Moe's work is cited in this review.
Aging and Speech Understanding.  J. Pickett, M. Bergman and H. Levitt.  Sensory Systems and Communication in the Elderly, 10, 167-186, 1979."