phantom words demonstrations

Dear Massimo,

 As Bruce mentioned, I do have ‘Phantom Word’ demonstrations on CD – one on my CD ‘Musical Illusions and Paradoxes” and six more on my CD ‘Phantom Words, and Other Curiosities” (see  my “Phantom Words” page under “Illusions and Research” in  http://deutsch.ucsd.edu  - this contains a description of the phenomenon and also links to a number of sound examples). The listener sits in front of two loudspeakers, with one to the left and the other to the right. Each track contains two words, or a single word composed of two syllables, and these are repeated over and over. The same sequence is presented through both speakers, but the tracks are offset in time so that when the first sound (word or syllable) is coming from the speaker on the left the second sound is coming from the speaker on the right, and vice versa. People initially hear a jumble of meaningless sounds, but after a while distinct words and phrases suddenly appear. The effect is often so vivid that people may become convinced that different words and phrases have been inserted into the track, despite my insistence to the contrary. As I describe,  ‘phantom’ words and phrases are often related to what is on the listener’s mind.  I also describe and discuss this effect in my blog for Psychology Today at http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/illusions-and-curiosities/200906/phantom-words  In his book “Rorschach Audio: Art and Illusion for Sound” Joe Banks describes this effect and relates it to the visual Rorchach test.

 Historically, I discovered this effect when I was exploring the possibility of obtaining something like the octave illusion with verbal material using headphones. This didn’t work well, but I discovered by chance that when the words and phrases were presented via loudspeakers rather than headphones these striking illusions occurred.

 All best,

 Diana

Professor Diana Deutsch
Department of Psychology