Re: [EXTERNAL] Frequency dependecy of sound localization

Hello Junfeng,

The issue of combining information across frequency for sound localization has a long history. Much of the work has involved what is described as "binaural interference", in which low frequency sounds tend to dominate high frequency sounds. In our 2007 paper (Best et al., 2007) we demonstrated that interference can be influenced by factors that relate to auditory grouping, and that this insight helps to organize some of the contradictions in the literature. If you wish to develop a theory of frequency importance functions, it will be important to consider this aspect. This paper contains what we attempted to provide as the most comprehensive review of the literature up until 2007, as part of our attempt to use an auditory scene analysis framework to organize the results up to that point. I think it will be useful to you regardless of whether you are interested in our auditory grouping hypothesis or not.

Best, V., Gallun, F. J., Carlile, S., & Shinn-Cunningham, B. G. (2007). Binaural interference and auditory grouping. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 121(2), 1070-1076.

Key papers that have been published subsequent to our review in that paper include:

Lee, A. K., Deane-Pratt, A., & Shinn-Cunningham, B. G. (2009). Localization interference between components in an auditory scene. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 126(5), 2543-2555.

Heller, Laurie M., and Virginia M. Richards. Binaural interference in lateralization thresholds for interaural time and level differences. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 128.1 (2010): 310-319.

Croghan, N. B., & Grantham, D. W. (2010). Binaural interference in the free field. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 127(5), 3085-3091.

Please feel free to contact me off-list if there are is anything more I can add.

Erick

Frederick (Erick) Gallun, PhD
Research Investigator, National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research
Associate Professor, Dept. of Otolaryngology and Neuroscience Graduate Program
Oregon Health & Science University

National Center for Rehabilitative Auditory Research
Portland VA Medical Center
3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road (NCRAR)
Portland, Oregon 97239
Frederick.Gallun@xxxxxx