Re: Excessive requests for papers

Dear List:

please allow me a few very short considerations. I apologize in advance.

1. I do not feel “bombarded” at all by paper requests;

2. I believe that this topic (paper requests) has been discussed in the past, and it has been decided that it is ok to ask for papers;

3. There might be a certain number of us living in places or working for universities where it can be objectively hard to readily get papers, even if these papers can be deemed “regularly available” by others who maybe live in richer parts of the world or work for wealthier universities;

4. One of the purposes of a list like this one should be to provide scientists with the ability to access information and data from multiple sources (papers included);

5. I personally feel VERY uncomfortable when someone intervenes to censor (maybe arbitrarily?) other Colleagues.

6. I know this is not important at all, but should this happen again, I would have no other choice but leaving the list right away.

Best regards, Giuseppe Buzzanca Pd.D., M.D.

Dear Auditory List,

I would like to return to a point of discussion which was made some years ago regarding paper requests.

It is acknowledged that some research articles, due to their age or presence in an obscure hard to find conference proceedings, are difficult to get your hands on, and a request for help in finding them is not inappropriate, especially after some effort have been made by the requester to search various libraries.

It is not however appropriate to ask the list for copies of *regularly available* articles, especially from those associated with a university where the articles can easily be obtained through basic library services (albeit sometime with some fee to the lab), and *especially* for an article with a clearly identifiable DOI!

The Auditory list is not a replacement for your activities as a researcher to actually research information.

Please refrain from bombarding all our emails with such requests until you have made a real effort to find the article in question.

Cordially,

--
Brian FG Katz, Ph.D, HDR
Audio & Acoustique

web_group: http://www.limsi.fr/Scientifique/aa/     web_theme: http://www.limsi.fr/Scientifique/aa/thmsonesp/
Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée est interdite.
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.