From: Bruno L. Giordano <bruno.giordano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: AUDITORY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, December 4, 2011 12:19:16 PM
Subject: calibration of insert earphones

Hello,

I am researching the equipment necessary to properly measure the level of
signals reproduced through insert earphones.

I suspect the best way is to use one of these babies:

http://www.bksv.com/products/telecomaudiosolutions/earandmouthsimulators/artificialearsandearsimulators.aspx

Can anyone please give me a rough estimate of the cost of a B&K artificial ear?

Are there cheaper ways to measure earphone levels that don't contemplate buying
equipment delivered with a mahogany case (e.g., building a home-made coupler for
the level meter)?!? For my applications a level-measurement error of, say, ± 3
dB might be acceptable.

Cheers,

    Bruno

Bruno L. Giordano, PhD
Erasmus Mundus - ACN postdoc @
Voice Neurocognition Laboratory (CCNi, Glasgow Univ) &
Affiliate member of Music Research Dept. (McGill Univ, Montréal)