calibration of insert earphones

Hello,

I am researching the equipment necessary to properly measure the level of signals reproduced through insert earphones.

I suspect the best way is to use one of these babies:

http://www.bksv.com/products/telecomaudiosolutions/earandmouthsimulators/artificialearsandearsimulators.aspx

Can anyone please give me a rough estimate of the cost of a B&K artificial ear?

Are there cheaper ways to measure earphone levels that don't contemplate buying equipment delivered with a mahogany case (e.g., building a home-made coupler for the level meter)?!? For my applications a level-measurement error of, say, ± 3 dB might be acceptable.

Cheers,

    Bruno

Bruno L. Giordano, PhD
Erasmus Mundus - ACN postdoc @
Voice Neurocognition Laboratory (CCNi, Glasgow Univ) &
Affiliate member of Music Research Dept. (McGill Univ, Montréal)