Re: correction to post

Dear Nedra,

This is an intriguing question, though one not at all easy to address. I guess that the type of illusions you have in mind are those of the type reported by Diana Deutsch and others (e.g., Shepard tones; McGurk effect, etc. ?). You ask how they might be related to hearing-aid design? Do you have in mind trying to reproduce some of these effects in aided hearing-impaired individuals, which they previously could not perceive unaided, as a means of assessing the efficacy of different hearing-aid algorithms?

The problem in relating some or all of these illusions to hearing-aid design is that it is quite difficult to dissociate auditory perception, or rather auditory sensory processing, from auditory cognition in these effects: do the illusions arise primarily from the former or the latter? The former might be useful for directing hearing-aid design; I doubt that the latter would though, as the effects might be quite idiosyncratic, relying on such factors as cerebral dominance, linguistic experience, etc., and might make for a moving goalpost, as it were ...

You might like to read the following review of Deutsch's two CDs of auditory illusions for more information:

http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/pdf/ben_carson_review_AJP.pdf

Best wishes in your endeavours,
Jose