Re: tapping hardware & software

Hi Daniele,

maybe the following will work for you:
Use a cheap microphone as the sensor, and record the tapping with the mic close to the tapping hand/stick/.... Playback of the stimulus and recording of the tapping can be done using PD (http://puredata.info/).
The recorded tapping signal needs a bit of post-processing:
Octave (http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/) can be used to filter out unwanted low-frequency noise, and to get the onset times of each tap (with a processing similar to note onset detection, but simple local maxima search and thresholding and having a condition of a minimum tap interval can work well, depending on your recording situation). From octave, you can export the onset times (or the intervals between stimuli and onset, or ...) into a text-file or something like this, and import into your analysis software. Or you use octave for the analysis.

All the best

Christian