Materials for psychology course for Music Majors

hi all --

i'm in the process of developing my first music psychology class here at CSU for this coming Spring semester, and i thought i would ask a really loaded question:

can anyone recommend introductory-level materials (journal articles or online resources preferable) that i can use to bring undergraduate music majors up to speed on general psychology and auditory perception topics?

the reason i ask is this: the majority of them will have never seen anything like this before since the course is for music majors. our school is very performance-oriented, and it wouldn't surprise me if i had to explain things like the physics of a vibrating string and explain what an overtone is during the first week... time i don't want to squander.

i'm looking for easy-to-understand articles on the fundamentals -- auditory perception, cognitive psychology, the scientific method, things like that. we will be addressing a variety of topics, but i haven't quite nailed down specifically which yet. in all likelihood we will do things like emotion, memory, and musical meaning, but i need to see how much time i have once we get past the basics.

if you've taught a course like this before, please let me know what you have used. i've already chosen our textbook -- William Forde Thompson's "Music, Thought, and Feeling" -- which I like very much. i think the students will enjoy it if i present it the right way! many of them have never approached music in this way before and i'm looking forward to messing them up a bit :)

best,

---
matthew mccabe <mccabem@xxxxxxx>
visiting assistant professor / music tech :: columbus state university
ph.d. candidate :: music composition :: uf college of fine arts
lab member :: reilly cognition and language lab :: uf phhp