Positions in Madison WI - Bilateral Cochlear Implant Research

Announcing new positions in the area of BILATERAL COCHLEAR IMPLANTS, in the Binaural Hearing and Speech Lab, University of Wisconsin, Madison. Dept. of Communicative Disorders and Waisman Center.

New positions are open for post-doctoral researchers, senior research associates and for PhD level studies, in the laboratory of Ruth Litovsky. The positions are funded by grants from the NIH-NIDCD. Researchers will focus on studies with adults and children who use bilateral cochlear implants, and in normal-hearing listeners.

In adult bilateral implant users we study sensitivity to binaural electrical stimulation, using research processors that bypass clinical devices and allow us to synchronized inputs to specific pairs of electrodes in the right and left ears. In addition, we investigate functional abilities in free field on measures of speech intelligibility in noise, spatial release from masking and sound localization. In children we study the emergence of both auditory and non-auditory skills, including spatial hearing, speech intelligibility in noise spatial release from masking, speech production, phonological awareness, vocabulary acquisition, non-verbal IQ, word learning, etc. Our work also involves numerous studies with normal-hearing adults and children, investigating basic auditory mechanisms related to listening in complex acoustic environments. Our lab provides an interactive environment amongst researchers and students, with various collaborative efforts at Wisconsin and at other institutions. The University of Wisconsin-Madison has a distinguished history of research in hearing science, and offers unique opportunities for research collaborations through the Waisman Center, Departments of Communicative Disorders, Psychology, Physiology, Anatomy, Surgery, Biomedical Engineering, and others; as well as the Neuroscience Training Program and Neuroengineering Training Program.

Please submit inquiries with CV and three contacts for references to Ruth Litovsky, litovsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:litovsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.