Re: Perception as memory / models of pitch

Dear Martin and list,

Thanks for the reminder.  When you first reported the carbamazepine effect, I was fully prepared to try it myself, but a veterinarian friend talked me out of it!

1) I'd be grateful if you could clarify my thoughts......  (How) does it necessarily follow that categorization must be coupled as an integral part of this temporal pitch extraction process??  My understanding is that it likely occurs at a different location e.g. language areas (?)

2) Forgive my ignorance, but of all the pitch models in existence, surely at least one (if not all) allows convergence from of the what is extracted from the periodicity with a representation of place (i.e. of the exact cochleotopic location) ?  How can periodicity pitch then be totally separated from pitch height (and therefore cochleotopy) ?  Somebody got a nice neural net I can play with to get a better feel?

3) Another question, how stable must a neural reference (?pacemaker) be to equal the known stability of AP normally (<50 cents) ?  Does such a pacemaker exist for all phase-locking frequencies or even just spanning an octave?

4) Final more remote question.  Has anybody catalogued all the known cases of perception of pseudo-sensory input, which has no basis in peripheral sensors, and which can therefore be categorically determined to be manufactured within the CNS?  e.g. phantom pain, tinnitus....?   Are there key articles devoted to the plausibility (or otherwise) that the CNS likes to keep its signal-to-noise ratio as low as possible thereby eliminating unwanted (unreal) sensory input?

Thanks for any help,

Regards,
Eric
www.oaericle.com.au