Listening test of transformation of voice quality and expressivity

Dear auditory list,

I have been working for some time on the transformation of voice quality of recorded speech in order to make a voice whispering, breathy etc. and to modify the expressivity of the voice. Having applied these transformations to a number of voices, I would like your opinion on the result, both with respect to the naturalness of the voice, the quality of the sound, and whether it sounds as intended. I therefore invite you to participate in this listening test:

http://perspection.ircam.fr/farner/breathy

It takes about 20 minutes to complete. The sound samples are in French but you don't have to worry about the meaning :-)

After having done the test, please feel free to comment on and discuss the test and the fact that I use a web page to harvest data. I am conscient that the liberty of listening conditions may affect the judgements, but is it objectionable for such a listening test? Anyway, please use your best headphones or loudspeakers as well as quite surroundings; it's better that way :-)

Well, another thing: If your navigator does not support Quicktime (for playing the sounds), there is a link "no-Quicktime" on the first page which gives a different version that should work.

I thank you in advance for your participation!

-Snorre Farner
PS. I tried to send this email last week, but it didn't appear. I'm sorry for not giving you more time, but I'll still have to close the test Tuesday evening.

----
Snorre Ballière FARNER, researcher -- http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~farner
IRCAM, Analysis/Synthesis Group
1 place Igor Stravinsky, FR-75004 Paris, France
Tel.: +33 144 78 16 07 or +33 954 04 11 37. Email: farner@xxxxxxxx