The ear dynamically adapting frequency response

Dear List

I am investigating the possibility that the ear dynamically adapts its frequency response dependant on environment, for example, to suppress noise. My current thinking is that the mechanism for this adaptation is in the expanding and contracting of the outer hair cells, restricting or exaggerating movement of the inner hair cells at different frequencies depending on the stimuli. I would be grateful for any input anyone may have regarding this idea.

Thanks,

Mark

Windows Live Hotmail just got better. Find out more!