Re: f0 frequency difference limen

Hi Andrew,

I was just chatting with some people the other day about frequency limen

Are you talking about harmonic instruments ?
Then you can use combinations of even & odd multiples of f0. If you want
to know their nature, I guess it would be dependent on the type of your
instrument and how loud it is being played.

If you are talking about the frequency difference limen associated with
the active processes of hearing ... I am aware of more basic - yet
revealing phenomena - to do with the live Cochlea, SOAEs and (in my
opinion) the SOC.

Here is a recent reference and my opinion for you ...

An investigation into the frequency difference limens D_L near SOAE
frequencies suggests that they are reduced around the SOAE frequency
[norena:2002]. They were found to be reduced whether the stimulus was
ipsilaterally or contralaterally presented. Norena et al. argue that the
effect on D_L with contralateral presentation suggests a central role
for the frequency processing and SOAE generation mechanism of the
peripheral hearing circuit.

I do have more information on the harmonics (and non harmonics) present
in compression driven cochlear sections, however that is a start.

Matt

[norena:2002] @ARTICLE{norena:2002,
  author = {Norena, A. and Micheyl, C. and Durrant, JD and Chery-Croze,
S. and
	Collet, L.},
  title = {{Perceptual correlates of neural plasticity related to
spontaneous
	otoacoustic emissions?}},
  journal = {Hearing Research},
  year = {2002},
  volume = {171},
  pages = {66--71},
  number = {1},
  publisher = {Elsevier Science}
}

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 10:24 +0000, Andrew Milne wrote:
Dear members of the list,

> Is there a consensus on the size of the frequency difference limen for
the f0 of complex tones such as those
> produced by musical instruments - i.e. containing both resolved and
unresolved harmonics. References to papers

--

 ,dPYb,,dPYb,            I8
 IP'`YbIP'`Yb            I8        http://www.flatmaxstudios.com/
 I8  8II8  8I         88888888     http://www.flatmax.org
 I8  8'I8  8'            I8
 I8 dP I8 dP   ,gggg,gg  I8   ,ggg,,ggg,,ggg,    ,gggg,gg    ,gg,   ,gg
 I8dP  I8dP   dP"  "Y8I  I8  ,8" "8P" "8P" "8,  dP"  "Y8I   d8""8b,dP"
 I8P   I8P   i8'    ,8I ,I8, I8   8I   8I   8I i8'    ,8I  dP   ,88"
,d8b,_,d8b,_,d8,   ,d8b,d88b,dP   8I   8I   Yb,d8,   ,d8b,dP  ,dP"Y8,
PI8"888P'"Y8P"Y8888P"`Y8P""Y8P'   8I   8I   `YP"Y8888P"`Y8"  dP"   "Y8
 I8 `8,
 I8  `8,
 I8   8I  Public Projects :
 I8   8I  http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=mffm