Re: HRTF failure

Sorry if you receive multiple copies of this email - I accidentally sent
it to the wrong address yesterday!

Christian,

You could try looking at papers such as this one to see some of the issues
involved in presentation of binaural stimuli via headphones:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=3514945

Your problem MAY be because of the headphones. I don't know the detailed
specs, but I believe the DT-770 is a circumnaural diffuse-field design.
Diffuse-field headphones try to recreate the effect of an HRTF (very
loosely). This is intended to make audio recorded and mixed for loudspeaker
presentation sound realistic on headphones. If you play a binaural recording
through these headphones, the HRTF will have been applied twice - once
(accurately) during the Kemar recording, and then again, albeit
approximately, on playback.

For realistic playback of binaural recordings, you should really use a
free-field headphone (which doesn't try to mimic an HRTF). It might even be
worth investing in some good in-ear headphones to make sure there's no
residual effect due to the listeners' pinnae. If your budget won't stretch
that far, I believe the Beyerdynamic DT-660 is a free-field design, is
cheaper than the DT-770, has a much flatter bass response, but is otherwise
very similar. It's not as well-liked by the audiophile community, but I
think that's because they don't usually listen to binaural recordings, so
the DT-770's diffuse-field design might be more appropriate for them.

Incidentally, if you want to compare measured frequency responses,
impedances, etc. for the more popular headphones, there's a rather nice
"build-a-graph" feature at this web address:
http://www.headphone.com/technical/product-measurements/

I hope that helps!

Steve Beet
Principal R&D Engineer, Aculab plc, UK