Re: Psychology seminar presentation ideas with music

Dear Dan,

You might want to consider McGill University in Montreal for your
graduate studies.  You can look at the Psychology dept website at
http://www.psych.mcgill.ca/
You might be interested in the work of the following people whose web
pages can be found through the Psych Dept''s website.

--  Robert Zatorre, an associate member who studies neurological
processes involved in music, mainly using brain imaging techniques.
Robert's main home is  the Montreal Neurological Institute, one of the
world's foremost centers for brain research.  His website is at
http://www.zlab.mcgill.ca/home.html
Robert is also associated with BRAMS, an international
inter-university center (International Laboratory for Brain Music and
Sound Research), which is administered by Isabelle Peretz at
l'Université de Montréal.

--  Daniel Levitin, author of "This is your brain on music" and "The
world in Six songs".  Dan is closely associated with a McGill
organization called The Center for Interdisciplinary Research on Music
and Music Technology (CIRMMT), which is located in the Faculty of
Music, but includes psychologists as well as people in computer music,
sound recording technology, computer science, education,engineering
and neurology.  See
http://www.cirmmt.mcgill.ca/

-- Caroline Palmer, who studies how people remember long sequences
typical of speech and music, and how they produce those sequences.
Her lab website is at  http://www.mcgill.ca/spl/  (see especially the
following web page which outlines her research:
http://www.mcgill.ca/spl/palmer/  )

Stephen McAdams:  Professor of Music, Director of CIRMMT, and an
associate member of the Psychology Dept., who studies psychoacoustics,
music perception and cognition, sound quality, multidimensional data
analysis, and functional data analysis.

I'm retired but am still around and doing some advising of graduate students.

The Psychology Dept has close links with bot CIRMMT and Brams, and
members from these Centers can be on a psychology student''s thesis
committee or even be his/her thesis adviser.

McGill University is located in the heart of Montreal, an exciting
city with a vibrant music scene, an interesting nightlife and
excellent restaurants.  The graduate students in psychology have their
own social organization (GASP), and the department treats graduate
students as colleagues both in research and in undergraduate
instruction.  You can get more information about the graduate program
from the Graduate Secretary;  giovanna locascio@xxxxxxxxx

Regarding your seminar presentation, you might want to base it on one
of the books by Dan Levitin that I mentioned above.

Good luck in your studies of the musical mind and brain.

Al Bregman
Albert S. Bregman, Emeritus Professor
Psychology Department, McGill University
1205 Docteur Penfield Avenue
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 1B1.
Office: Phone: (514) 398-6103
 Fax: (514) 398-4896