Re: examples of natural sound displays

Hi -

Interesting project. The question of what's "natural" is not necessarily something we'll agree on, so sorry if these are the wrong direction:

Bubbling water inside pitched pipes?
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om06825.html

Wave-driven organ?
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om24550.html

Waterphone? (Played by bowing or plucking, but sound character is influenced by motion of water)
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om33000.html

Wind-driven harps?
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om33100.html
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om01000.html

Or maybe the daxophone, which uses bowed wood to make some very "natural"-sounding noises!
http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om08800.html

Hard to pin down if/how these might be relevant, without knowing what sort of information you're wanting to display. But maybe it gives you some ideas.

Dan

Milena Droumeva wrote:
Hi group(s),

I am part of a team working on a sustainable solar house project, and we might be looking at using some natural sound-making materials as "auditory displays". I was wondering if anyone can forward examples and ideas as to what those could be, what has been done and how could it be designed. One of the idea I am thinking is these "displays" being driven by the elements - such as water, wind, etc.

Thanks so much!

Milena Droumeva
Simon Fraser University
Canada