PhD studentships available at the MRC Institute of Hearing Research, Nottingham, UK

Title: PhD studentships available at the MRC Institute of Hearing Research, Nottingham, UK

The MRC Institute of Hearing Research (IHR) conducts world-leading research into hearing and hearing disorders. We currently offer three PhD studentships, which are available for a wide range of projects in the fields of Neuroscience, Experimental Psychology or Engineering.

One project, for instance, will investigate the function of the intrinsic circuitry of the auditory cortex using anatomical methods, such as pathway tracing and cell labelling, as well as single-cell recordings during cryogenic inactivation of particular parts of the auditory cortex. Another project will explore how the ability to segregate wanted from unwanted sounds can be improved in cochlear implant users by means of psychophysical and non-invasive electrophysiological (EEG) measurements with cochlear-implant simulations. And finally, one of the more cognitive projects will explore the mechanism of auditory learning in adults and children, with planned applications for the remediation of language and auditory problems in children, as well as rehabilitation following hearing aid fitting and cochlear implantation.

Due to our funding and superb infrastructure, we can provide our students access to cutting-edge research and lab facilities. Moreover, you will be given all the support and training necessary to present your work in peer-reviewed journals. The IHR has sections in Nottingham, Glasgow and Southampton.

MRC-funded studentships include a personal stipend, tuition fees and travel costs for attending conferences. Studentships are available to students who are currently resident in the UK; fees-only awards are available to EU students. In addition to the 3-year programme, we also offer a 1+3-year scheme, which includes a fully-funded 1-year taught Masters (MRes) course in a relevant field.

For more detailed information about the IHR, our PhD projects and eligibility requirements, please go to http://www.ihr.mrc.ac.uk/postgraduates/ and download our studentship brochure, or contact our Director of Postgraduate Recruitment, Dr. Katrin Krumbholz (phone: 0115 922 3431, e-mail: katrin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx).

Dr Katrin Krumbholz

MRC Institute of Hearing Research

University Park

NG7 2RD Nottingham

Phone: +44 (0)115 922 3431

Fax: +44 (0)115 951 8503

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses, which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.