Re: cross-modality-size-loud

this seems off to one side, a little, but taking a vaguely 'ecological
approach', although we've been talking about objects in isolation, broken down
into the striker and the struck -  in the real world, large sounding objects
have differnt physical (inc. acoustical) relationships with the surrounding
environment. That is, given that a larger sounding object can entail more
overall energy, then the transmission through ground and other structures will
differ (from the case of small objects). This secondary energy 'hangs on' later,
so the overall event has quite a different frequency-with-time structure.
So, whilst we can construct 'special case' events to minimise the effects of
size of struck object on local environment structures, it should be recognised
that these are indeed special cases.
regards
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox
S.P.A.R.G.
Signal Processing Applications Research Group
University of Derby
http://sparg.derby.ac.uk
Int. tel: 3155

>>> "Daniel J. Tollin" <Daniel.Tollin@xxxxxxxxx> 17/09/2007 18:53 >>>
Some bats can produce ultrasonic sounds (vocalizations) well over 100 dB. And
bats are pretty small.  So getting back to Jan's point, pitch might better
correlate with size.

Dan Tollin