Re: Absolute pitch discussion

Dear Diana and others,

Thank you. Yes, we have computational models of relative pitch (RP), but not
yet physiological ones.

I must say I am still quite impressed by your computational model of octave
circularity and chroma from 1969. The physiological model that has emerged
during the past five years is almost congruent with your early suggestion.

As to interval equivalence, the basis of RP, I cannot see the possibility of
a similar "happy end". You see, RP listeners can spontaneously recognize a
major third, even if it appears in previously unheard sound frequencies,
such as in C4 + 50 Cent followed by E4 + 50 Cent. Models of "learning"
neural networks that are based on frequency maps cannot account for this
ability.

As to Gerald Langner's recent suggestions of a possible "pitch helix" in the
ventral nucleus of the lateral lemniscus, we first have to wait for a
publication of data. Further, even if confirmed, such a structure could - in
my view - not contribute to the extraction of interval categories.

It is also worth noting that Zhang and Kelly (2006) did not even find
periodotopic order in this nucleus in the rat.

Langner G, Simonis C, Braun S, and Ochse M. Evidence for a pitch helix in
the ventral nucleus of the lateral lemniscus in the gerbil. Assoc Res
Otolaryngol Abstr 26: 173, 2003.

Langner G, Braun S, Simonis C, Benso C, and Cant N. New evidence for a pitch
helix in the ventral nucleus of the lateral lemniscus in the gerbil. Asoc
Res Otolaryngol Abstr 29: 259-260, 2006.

Zhang H., Kelly J.B. (2006) Responses of neurons in the rat's ventral
nucleus of the lateral lemniscus to amplitude-modulated tones. J
Neurophysiol. 96, 2905-2914.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music