Re: Theory of Timbre Perception

As the term psychoacoustics has evolved into perception and cognition, I would place timbre on the 'cognition' side of this process, that is, it doesn't exist except as interpreted by the brain.

That's actually what I was interested in. For example, there are various theories of pitch perception (Place, Timing, Pattern). What I was asking is, are there any equivalent theories regarding timbre perception.

When you say "the 'cognition' side of this process", where does this begin?

Cheers,

Chris