Re: sometimes behave so strangely

Dear List,

This demonstration makes me think of Pierre Schaeffer, the famous "inventor" of Musique Concréte in the late 40's, who used the method of so called /sillon fermé/, i.e. "closed grooves" on a gramophone record, to repeat the sound infinitely as a means to achieve a way of listening that disregarded any reference or associations in favour of the qualities of the sound in itself, a way of listening that he labeled /écoute réduite/. Repetition of shorter segments of sound, so called tape-loops has also been used extensively within the musique concrète tradition. Steve Reich created two pieces in the 1960, /It's Gonna Rain/, and /Come Out/, which both are based on solely on continuous repetitions of one single short speech segment (albeit with two superimposed versions which are very slowly put out of phase as the piece goes on). The result is the same as Diana Detsch demonstrated; the ear turns gradually to the "musical" qualities of the speech segment; its intonation, its timbre and its rythm. I agree with Diana that there is a kind of semantic satiation at play here, making both the semantic content and information of the speaker redundant.

Best regards,

Andreas Bergsland

Dear Al (and List),

You raise some very interesting points. I don't think that the explanation lies in semantic satiation, because the words (vowels and consonants) are still heard very clearly, even though the phrase appears to be sung. I do agree, though, that the answer lies, at least in part, in the pitch modulations - though exactly what happens isn't clear. At the ASA meeting I presented an illustration showing the pitch tracing of my original rendition, and that of a subject repeating what she heard after multiple repetitions. The contours of all the syllables were flattened in the subject's rendition, and it's my strong impression that people literally begin to hear the contours as flattened. I'd be happy to send this illustration to anyone who is interested.

You also raise the point that the transformation of the phrase from speech to song endures - so that when people listen again to the full sentence, I appear to burst into song. This , to my mind, is a particularly puzzling aspect of the effect. People have told me that the effect is still present, unattenuated, even months later - and this was certainly my experience. As you point out, perhaps the most important question raised by this demonstration is why people don't always hear speech as song. After all, the vowel components of words are harmonic complexes - yet the pitch characteristics of speech are usually suppressed in perception.

The composer Mussorggsky wrote in a letter to Rimsky-Korsokoff:

'whatever speech I hear, no matter who is speaking ... my brain immediately sets to working out a musical exposition for this speech' . On listening to his music - particularly his song cycles - one can deliberately flip one's perception to a different mode, and hear, very convincingly, the intonation of Russian speech. I've often wondered whether Mussorgsky may have heard all speech as we hear 'sometimes behave so strangely' after repetition.

All best,

Diana

Professor Diana Deutsch Department of Psychology University of California, San Diego 9500 Gilman Dr. #0109 La Jolla, CA 92093-0109, USA

858-453-1558 (tel)
858-453-4763 (fax)

http://www-psy.ucsd.edu/~ddeutsch
http://www.philomel.com