Resonance model of the cochlea

Dear list:

Some years back I put forward a novel model of the cochlea in which wave
energy reverberated between the 3 rows of outer hair cells. This resonance
model of hearing generated some discussion on this list. The model became
the basis of my PhD study (just completed), and a number of papers are now
emerging. A central one is a paper recently published in a new journal,
Bioinspiration and Biomimetics.

This paper, "Sensors, motors, and tuning in the cochlea: interacting cells
could form a surface acoustic wave resonator", is currently available for
free download (until the end of this month) from
http://stacks.iop.org/1748-3190/1/96.

Andrew.

Andrew Bell
Research School of Biological Sciences