Re: In search of Basic Pedagogical Audio Material

gary kendall's page was marvellous for intro, esp in relation to spatial hearing, but it's gone. Richard Duda's page is very usable.- http://interface.cipic.ucdavis.edu/CIL_tutorial/3D_home.htm
regards
ppl

Dr. Peter Lennox
S.P.A.R.G.
Signal Processing Applications Research Group
University of Derby
http://sparg.derby.ac.uk
Int. tel: 1775

>>> Olivier Tache <olivier.tache@xxxxxxx> 10/01/2006 15:26 >>>
Dear all,

Within a very short (2 days) course on Sound Synthesis, I would like to
introduce the very basics of psycoacoustics.... in something like 1
hour, or less !

I already have the sufficient scientific background & material.
Unfortunately I have no exemplary sound.

Would anyone have a WWW pointer, or a CD reference, that would help me
finding such basic exemplary sounds ?

I would be particularly interested in sound examples on :
- perception of Timbre (3D timbre space, suppression of attacks or of
spectral enveloppe evolution, emergence of several instruments by
applying vibrato...)
- sound localization, room and space perception
- perception of pitch (of sine sounds, to begin)
- eventually auditory illusions

Note that I don't plan on offering a deep introduction to
psychouacoustics at all.
Basically, the simple message I would like to transmit to learners is
that audio perception is something complex, sometimes astonishing.

I did not find such www pointers in the list archive, nor on google.

I consider generally that asking for pedagogical material is not very
nice...
I allow myself to do so in that case because the core topic of my course
is not psychoacoustics, and because I am only looking for the basics.

Hope you'll understand !

I thank you all in advance,
all the best,

Olivier Tache

--
Olivier Tache
Associate Researcher - Doctorate Applicant