Re: Recording Microphone

Hi Ben;

I use the AKG C-410 head mounted microphone for speech (vocal) recordings. I really like this headmounted microphone. I believe this model was replaced with the newer version, the AKG C-420. Please note a description of the mic and specs below. Good luck.

Mary

Mary V. Andrianopoulos, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
University of Massachusetts
Dept of Communication Disorders
6 Arnold House
Amherst, MA 01003-0410
work: 413.545.0551.
fax: 413.545.0551
email: mva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Product:   AKG C420 Vocal Head Microphone

The C 420 cardioid condenser microphone was designed with a full frequency response bandwidth that delivers a pure powerful sound and carries punch and presence to the audience. It is ideal for front vocalists, singing keyboard players, drummers, guitarists, dancers and aerobic instructors. It has a new and fully adjustable headband and ear pieces that fit comfortably and secure on your head. The C 420 has the cable exiting from the rear of the headband to stay out of the way of your performance. When you require hands free performance capabilities, the C 420 headset is your answer.

Specifications

Transducer Type: Condenser pressure gradient
Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
Polar Pattern: Cardioid
Impedance: 200 ohms
Output Connector: XLR
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 2:27 PM
Subject: Recording Microphone

Hi All,
We want to make some speech recordings in an anechoic chamber (or a sound booth) and are looking for recommendations for a reasonably priced recording microphone for the task (or do we really need to spend a good bit of money for quality recordings?). Given we will be recording in quiet any thoughts on the microphone polar pattern (omni seems to make more sense)? Something with a flat frequency response and low mic noise seems like a good start. We will likely be using commercial software for the recording process (e.g. Adobe Audition, or SoundForge) in conjunction with an Echo DARLA 8-channel sound card. Any thing else I should be thinking about? Any specific suggestions? I appreciate any thoughts you might share.

Thanks,

Ben

Benjamin W.Y. Hornsby, Ph.D.

Research Assistant Professor

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences

1215 21st Ave. South, Room 8310

Medical Center East, South Tower

Nashville, TN  37232-8242

Phone: 615-936-5132