Upward Spread Of Masking & Hearing Aids

Hi,

I feel that it may be useful to use a high pass filter in the "Noise Program" of a hearing aid, just in case some VERY loud LF noise
is present which could lead to USM.

However I suspect that a dispenser who cuts back LF response when fitting the "General Purpose" program of a hearing aid in an
attempt to limit possible USM is simply wasting his/her time ... and may in fact impact speech intelligibility.

Is this a fair assumption? Or is the impact of USM with the hearing impaired a major problem which needs to be dealt with sternly?

regards,

Richard