Travel scholarships for Asilomar 2005

As has been done every 2 years since 1999, Defeating Deafness (a UK charity)
has agreed to provide some financial support for a small number of
U.K.-based Ph.D. students to attend the 2005 Conference on Implantable
Auditory Prostheses at Asilomar, California, 30 July-4 August:

http://www.hei.org/ciap2005/ciap.htm

A total of £2000 is available, which will be split among 2-4 candidates.
Clearly, the amount available will not cover the total expenses, but should
provide an important supplement to other funding.

Those eligible to apply are Ph.D. students and recent post-doctoral students
at UK institutions. Preference will be given to candidates involved in
cochlear implant research or attached to a cochlear implant programme.
Please send applications to me by email on or before 16 June. A decision
will be made by 31 May. They should include a brief CV, a statement of
research interests, a statement of the potential benefits of attending the
conference, and a supporting letter from the supervisor or current "boss".
It is a condition of the funding that a brief report be sent to Defeating
Deafness after the conference.

If you are considering applying, I would appreciate a short message right
away so I can gauge the demand.

Please forward this message to anyone you think might be interested.

Stuart Rosen, Ph.D.
Professor of Speech and Hearing Science
Dept. of Phonetics & Linguistics
University College London