Fwd: An open position in Speech and Hearing at the University of Illinois

I was asked to forward this job posting on to the Auditory list.  It looks interesting.  Please respond to Ron Chambers rdc@uiuc.edu, NOT me.

From: Ron Chambers <rdc@uiuc.edu>
Subject: An open position at the University of Illinois
Cc: rdc@uiuc.edu

I write to you as the Head of the Department of Speech and Hearing Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Our department is one of four units located within the College of Applied Life Studies.  The mission of the college is to promote and maintain optimal health, wellness, and quality of life for all citizens.  I am contacting you regarding a search that our department is having for an assistant professor in audiology/hearing science.  I have attached a copy of the job announcement for the search.  I wanted to contact you personally with some additional information about our department and campus and our open position.

The position presents exciting and dynamic possibilities for new faculty to do cutting-edge research and have collaborative and interdisciplinary projects in the college and across campus.  Collaborative and interdisciplinary work would be encouraged and facilitated.  Both the campus and the college have internal mechanisms to provide seed money for new projects, with a special interest in bringing collaborators from diverse disciplines together to investigate complex questions.  We currently have faculty collaborating with colleagues on campus in special education, psychology, educational psychology, African-American studies, computer science, medicine, veterinary medicine, physics, cell and structural biology, engineering, and others, as well as collaborators in other universities and other countries.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is a research intensive university, and faculty are not required to supervise in the department's clinics.  The department, college, and campus provide a great deal of support for new faculty, including faculty mentoring for research and teaching, reduced teaching loads during the first year, laboratory space, start-up packages, several internal grant mechanisms for seed funds for new research projects, a college-based teaching academy for junior faculty, and much more.  Our department has a long tradition of excellence and continues to grow.  For example, we have revamped and broadened our undergraduate program, we currently have 29 students in our Ph.D. program, we have a new Doctor of Audiology program, and we are in the initial stages of an American Sign Language (ASL) program that will allow undergraduates at the University to take ASL to meet their second language requirement.  Our graduate programs are highly ranked by the US News and World Report.

The range of world-recognized research programs and centers on the University of Illinois campus that faculty members in our department are involved in is outstanding.  These include among others the Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Facility, the Laboratory for Fluorescence Dynamics, the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology, the Research Park, the National Center for Supercomputing Applications, the Neuroscience Program, the Disability Research Institute, and the Center for Advanced Study.

I encourage you to consider our search, and/or to pass the message on to others who might be interested.  I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions that you may have.  I can be contacted at rdc@uiuc.edu or at (217) 333-2230.

Sincerely,

Ron D. Chambers, Ph.D.

Ron D. Chambers, Ph.D.
Head, Department of Speech and Hearing Science
901 S. Sixth St., Champaign, IL 61820
rdc@uiuc.edu     (217) 333-2230  FAX (217) 244-2235