Re: Pitch perception shift caused by carbamazepine and yawning

Chen-Gia Tsai asked:

> I find that a recent experimental study on yawning might shed new light on
the pitch perception shift during yawning.
> (....................)
> As yawning is under the control of several neurotransmitters and
neuropeptides at the central level, is it possible that yawning-induced
pitch shift can be explained in terms of neurochemistry?

Changes in neurochemistry might change the propensity of yawning. Auditory
changes DURING yawning, however, need not have neural origins.

During yawning the Eustachian tube can open, which often changes air
pressure in the middle ear and thus hearing. Yawning can also trigger the
middle ear muscles. Both effects can change loudness, but not pitch.

Also changes in afferent or efferent auditory signaling during yawning would
affect loudness, but not pitch.

So, if there are reliable reports of pitch shift during yawning, I would be
interested to see them.

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music