From: "arindam bhattacharjee" <arindam90@yahoo.com>
To: <al.bregman@mcgill.ca>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:05 AM
Subject: research interest

> Dear Prof. Bregman
> My name is Arindam Bhattacharjee and I am currently a student of the
Masters program in cognitive science at the Center for Behavioral and
Cognitive Sciences, University of Allahabad, India. The Masters program in
cognitive science is a two year program and I am currently doing my third
semester. I am expected to complete the program in May 2005. During these
three semesters I have completed important courses in cognitive science
including Attention & Perception, Cognitive Neuroscience, Cognitive
Neuropsychology, Artificial Intelligence, Pattern Recognition, language and
cognition, Reasoning learning planning, etc.

>  I am interested in the area of auditory perception, temporal aspects of
auditory perception and music perception, and computational modeling. When
auditory perception for speech processing is concerned I am especially
interested in intonation & prosody. I would like to investigate 'our ability
to identify a familiar word included in an unfamiliar language and also
prepare a computational model that simulates such phenomenon'.

>  My Master's thesis focuses on computational approaches to music
perception and identification of certain musical structures in Indian
Classical Music. The approach is to understand and analyze as well as
develop a pattern recognition system to identify a special genre of music
called the 'raga' in Hindustani classical music. I am currently applying
various signal processing algorithms to extract features of interest that
may aid in differentiating and characterizing different 'ragas'.  I am
basically interested in perception and apart from my master's thesis; I am
also working as a research assistant in a camouflage detection project
funded by a Defense department in India.

>  My undergraduate degree is in zoology and I have taken courses covering
various areas in Genetics, Cell and Molecular Biology. I am deeply
interested in cognitive science and have also taken efforts to improve my
knowledge and expertise in cognitive science. Recently, I participated in a
national level, 10 days intensive workshop on Computational Neuroscience.

>  My grades have been consistently good and my cumulative GPA is 7.9 out of
9.0 in the first two semesters. My TOEFL score range is (230-287) / 300 and
GRE score is 1060 (Verbal-380, Quantitatve-680, Analytical Essay-4.5). My
score in verbal portion of the GRE is not representative of my knowledge and
communication skills in English. I am confident that my background in
biology and cognitive science will enable me to perform well in the -
program in your university/department.

>  I am looking forward to work with you at your esteemed institute / lab. I
am, therefore, interested in applying to the PhD program. Please let me know
whether I would be a suitable candidate for your program given my
qualifications.