Re: painfully loud sound

jan schnupp wrote:

Dear List,

while teaching medical students some basic Neuroscience (including
nociceptive pathways and pain) I wondered: what determines whether we
would consider a particular sound to be painfully loud?

That is a good (and, as yet, unanswered) question.

Charlie Liberman tells me that no one has been able to establish what
the mechanism is, but that the unmylinated Type-II fibers have been
suspected.

Sounds like a PhD thesis for some brave soul...

Cheers,
-Tony

--
Tony Miller
Eaton-Peabody Laboratory, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary