Re: the efferent auditory system

Hi Matt,

Yes, you can find some interesting treatments of efferent feedback in
models ....

These include [1] and [2], which treat the processes local to the Organ
of Corti (OoC), yet under the influence of efferent feedback.

This year there have been others. which include [3] which treats [1]
beyond the OHC an more targeting the entire OoC.

A physiological basis is treated in [4] and [5] which deals with a
lumped model of the neural periphery and treats the mechanical cochlea
as a gammatone filter. [4] and [5] treat the system with unknown
physiological elements left out ... even though these elements are left
out, alot of experimental observations can still be explained.

Hope that helps
Matt

[1] @Article{Stasiunas:2003,
  author =       {Stasiunas, A. and Verikas, A. and Kemesis, P. and
Bacauskiene, M. and Miliauskas, R. and Stasiuniene, N. and Malmqvist,
K.},
  title =        {A non-linear circuit for simulating OHC of the
cochlea},
  journal =      {Medical Engineering \& Physics},
  year =         {2003},
  volume =       {25},
  number =       {7},
  pages =        {591-601},
  month =        {Sep.}
}

[2] @InProceedings{Flax:2002,
  author =       {Flax, M.R.},
  title =        {Afferent/Efferent Pitch Processing},
  booktitle = {Proceedings of the 9th Australian International
Conference on Speech Science \& Technology Melbourne},
  year =         {2002},
  month =        {December},
  organization = {Australian Speech Science \& Technology Association
Inc.}
}

[3] @Article{Stasiunas:2004,
  author =       {Stasiunas, A. and Verikas, A. and Kemesis, P. and
Bacauskiene, M. and Miliauskas, R. and Stasiuniene, N. and Malmqvist,
K.},
  title =        {A multi-channel adaptive nonlinear filtering structure
realizing some properties of the hearing system},
  journal =      {Computers in Biology and Medicine},
  year =         {2004},
  volume =       {in-press}
}

[4] @InProceedings{Flax:2004a,
  author =       {Flax, M.R. and Holmes, W.H.},
  title =        {A Lumped Model of the Neural Peripheral and Central
Nervous Auditory Link - Qualitative View I},
  booktitle =    {International Conference on Intelligent Sensors,
Sensor Networks and Information Processing},
  year =         {2004}
}

[5] @InProceedings{Flax:2004b,
  author =       {Flax, M.R. and Holmes, W.H.},
  title =        {A Lumped Model of the Neural Peripheral and Central
Nervous Auditory Link - Qualitative View II},
  booktitle =    {Proceedings of the 10'th Australian International

--
http://www.flatmax.org

WSOLA TimeScale Audio Mod  : http://mffmtimescale.sourceforge.net/
FFTw C++                   : http://mffmfftwrapper.sourceforge.net/