Re: direct/indirect perception

Julien,

I'm not the authority on this, but I always thought that "direct
perception" is direct in the sense that all the information for perception
is available in the environment, as opposed to more
information-processing-oriented theories of perception which posit that the
stimulus is impoverished and the job of the sensory system is improve it
through the use of prior knowledge and inferences.  So direct perception
does not really require intermediate representations or memory models,
although I believe only the most hardcore Gibsonians would insist on no
role for memory.

Brian Gygi
East Bay Institute for Research and Education
Martinez, CA