Von: AUDITORY Research in Auditory P
erception [mailto:AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA] Im Auftrag von Robert Zatorre
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. April 2004 16:40
An: AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
Betreff: Re: absolute pitch & animals

Dear List

I think one has to be very careful when saying that someone or some species "has absolute pitch". This can mean various different things which are not equivalent. There is lots of evidence that certain animals use absolute pitch cues (for example, a generalization gradient to respond to a learned fixed pitch; or that vocalizations have a very stable pitch structure). This is not necessarily functionally equivalent to the human musician's ability to identify, by verbal labelling or otherwise, a large range of pitches. Taken to its absurd extreme, according some of these definitions, my refrigerator at home "has absolute pitch" since it hums loudly every evening at something pretty close to a b-flat!

I always liked the idea, described by Ward among many others, that the cognitively interesting aspect of the AP phenomenon was the ability to have a large number (up to 60 or so) of fixed categories along the pitch continuum. This is very different from what usually happens with other perceptual continua, such as loudness, intensity, weight, or hue, where the limit is typically on the order of 7-10 categories (Miller's magic number). In other words, everyone has the ability to make absolute judgments, but they are very broad, whereas true AP people apparently possess very narrow perceptual categories, that they can then learn to attach a label to.

I know of no animal evidence showing that any species can be trained to pick out one of, say, 50 distinct responses to each of 50 distinct tone frequencies. This is precisely what the best human AP possessors can do quickly and without much effort. Only such a demonstration would constitute evidence that an animal possessed an analogous cognitive ability as the human AP musicians. Until someone shows this, we should be careful about making generalizations across species. I am NOT saying that studying these phenomena in animals is not useful--quite the contrary I think it's quite important. I am only arguing that the phenomena should not be assumed to be identical, especially when behaviorally they are not the same at all.

Robert

PS This whole thread started when someone asked a perfectly reasonable and specific question about sex distribution in absolute pitch. Did anyone ever answer that, or is all this free-association that I am also contributing to all we got out of it? Perhaps the list would work better if we all refrained from giving random opinions, and stuck to addressing specific issues. Or am I just being grumpy?

PPS For further reading (of my views, anyhow): Zatorre, R.J. (2003) Absolute pitch: a model for understanding the influence of genes and development on neural and cognitive function. Nature Neuroscience, 6, 692-695.