Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

Eliot Handelman wrote
In my
theoretical models of music -- involving AI analysis and
composing -- kinematic representation is in fact the
basic operator. "Parallelization" or what you call
"pattern detection" is two levels up.  Of course this
doesn't prove anything about affect. But my guess about
this is that it  lies at the kinematic/movement level of
sound perception.
Dear Eliot,

I believe that music utilizes our capacity for cross-modal comprehension,
or in other words, music can be perceived and understood on the basis of
experience from non-auditory sensory modalities. But I also believe that
the foundation of any intentional movement (i.e. not spastic) is organized
pattern.  In music it can be detected in its simplest form as patterns
involving tension and relaxation within any musical parameter.

Research into the kinematics of music is certainly not extensive. A
relevant paper is found at
http://www.labo-mim.org/pdf%20intersens/Godoy.pdf
The author is currently involved in a "motor-mimesis" project.

I seem to be coming towards Martin's side on all this!
I think that the ability to alter ones understanding and also to admit it
is an admirable quality.
I hope to be able to tell you if I change my opinion in these matters!

Torleiv