Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

At 09:45 PM 4/13/2004 +0200, pallier wrote:
Woojay Jeon wrote:

> I am wondering if anyone can clarify the exact difference between
> "cognition" and "perception", at least in terms of acoustics, and also
> provide some examples illustrating the difference?
Defining cognition in terms of acoustics is tricky, because most IP models
of cognition deliberately abstract away from the sensory-specific
properties of the stimulus.  So you might say that "perception" includes
acoustics and "cognition" does not, or in "cognition" acoustics and optics
are treated in the same way.

And I agree with Christophe Pallier that they are ultimately not very
useful concepts, despite what I told my students in Introduction to Cognition.