Re: Difference between cognition and perception?

Hi everyone,

I just looked up in a dictionnary; not sure it is of much help either:

perception: "The act of perceiving; cognizance by the senses or intellect;
apprehension by the bodily organs, or by the mind, of what is presented to
them; discernment; apprehension; cognition." [web1913]

cognition: "The act of knowing; knowledge; perception." [web1913]

Wordnet seems to define 'cognition' somewhat more generally as:
  "the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning" [wn]
which is closer to Andrew's view.

Regards
Paul

     [wn] WordNet (r) 2.0
[web1913] Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)