Re: Thank you - inexpensive aids -Was off-list

Hear hear! (so to speak) - I feel that some very interesting perspectives
came out of the recent spate of postings, and would be sorry if bruised
feelings were to obstruct this process.
Actually, the psychology of e-mail spats is an interesting phenomenon,
though I observe this type of misunderstanding seems rarer now than, say, 3
years ago. It is really something to do with the difference between giving
offence and taking offence - these are not the same thing, nor reciprocal.
Its possible to take offence where non was being given, and vice versa.
Underneath the disagreements was something else that was quite important. In
all endeavours there are those who excel in selflessly applying a strict,
non-partisan, objective methodology to the n-th degree, and there are others
who can utilise an immense capacity for caring. Occasionally, someone can do
both or choose either for the occasion. The rest of us have to compromise.
The point is that it takes all flavours; science needs inspiration and
inspiration needs science. This isn't an argument for woolly-minded
'everything is as true as everything else' relativism, but if one is to be
truly rigorous, one simply has to accept that there are other truths than
one's own.
In the light of the recent discussion, it seems that there are reasonable
grounds for saying that the completely 'proper way' to approach the problems
of hearing aids has not been arrived at yet, which suggests the problem is
more complex (and interesting) than at first glance. I don't think anyone
was actually arguing towards ignoring existing methods, merely that they
shouldn't be regarded as definitive; is that right?
regards
ppl