Re: Inexpensive hearing aids

True, I have that abstract as well.  But according to Sinha, U.; Hollen, K.M.; Rodriguez, R. & Miller, C.A.: Auditory system degeneration in Alzheimer's disease.  Neurology 1993;43: 779-785

1)  Senile plaques and NFTs were distrubuted throughtout the ventral nucleus of the medial geniculate body and central nucleus of the inferior colliculus in 9 of 9 AD patients.  2)  Adjacent nuclei within the MGB and IC were consistently spared.  3)  NFT and SP were also present in the primary auditory and auditory association cortices.  3)  IN all control tissues, there were neither SP nor NFTs in any of the above sites.  4)  The cochlear nuclei were normal in tissues from both AD and controls.  5)  The MGBv is the majro thalamic relay for the AI function and receives fibers from neurons of the central nucleus of the IC, with projections arranged tonotopically in a lamianar pattern corresponding to a dradient of high-to-low frequency ranges.  6)  IN contrast, the clnical features of presbycusis in ellderly include only high-frequency loss due to lesion peripherally.  7)  These changes in the brain! s of AD patients may provide an additional basis for altered cognitive function due ot primary sensory deafferentation

This may or may not affect peripheral hearing loss.  Since the inferior colliculus is a major relay station both afferently and efferently auditory perception can be affected at the central level.

In addition, to support my stance of increased ability through stimulation, see:  Inglis, F.M. & Fibiger, H.C.: Increases in hippocampal and frontal cortical acetylcholine release associated with presentation of sensory stimuli, Neurosci 1995;66: 81-86

1)  Rats: hippocampal probes: auditory, visual, olfactory and tactile stimuli.  2)  All stimuli increased acetylcholine release in hippocampus and cortex.  3) Reached significance:  hippo: all except olfactory stimulation.  \  Frontal:  all except visual.  4)  NO differences in amount of release in hippocampus between 3 stimuli.  5)  Tactile responses resulted in the highes ACh release in the frontal.  7)  Affects attentional systems mediated by frontal cortex or memory encoding by hippocampus.\

These are my notes on the articles,  Please excuse spelling errors or short hand.  There are numerous other articles that deal specifically with hearing loss, but more on the central auditory system and neurotransmission

see also  Thiel, C.M. Friston, K.J. & Dolan, R.J.:  Cholinergic Modulation of Experience-Dependent Plasticity in Human Auditory Cortex  Neuron 2002;35: 567-574

There's also the Uhlmann article in JAMA of 1989.

I'll work on your specific questions when I can print them out.  My printer is screwed up right now.  Sorry

>From: "Ward Drennan" <wdrennan@umich.edu>
>To: "Barbara Reynolds" <br_auditory@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Inexpensive hearing aids
>Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:19:20 -0500 (EST)
>
>I just found somethings relevant to your comments on medline. It's going
>to be hard to take a close look at this first one seeing as the text is in
>Chinese. I think you've already referred to the 2nd.
>

>Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 2003 Jun;38(3):198-201.  Related
>Articles, Links
>

>[Hearing impairment in senile dementia of Alzheimer's type]
>
>[Article in Chinese]
>
>Wang NY, Yang HJ, Su JF, Kong F, Zhang MX, Yan B, Dong HQ, Zhang XQ, Jia
>JP, Han DM.
>
>Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Capital University of Medical Sciences,
>Beijing 100053, China. wny@sohu.com
>
>OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the pure tone hearing threshold and word
>recognition score of senile dementia of the Alzheimer's disease (AD)
>patients, and to analyze the relationship between hearing loss and the
>cognition impairment. METHODS: Pure tone audiometry, word recognition
>score (WRS), acoustic immittance and auditory brainstem response (ABR) are
>used to evaluate the auditory function of 43 patients with AD and 50
>subjects of the control group. The confounding factors are controlled.
>RESULTS: The average age of 43 dementia patients was 72.7 +/- 6.4, and
>69.7% was female. Bilateral hearing thresholds are similar in all
>subjects. All indices but Mini-mental scale of equastionnaire (MMSE) of
>patients and control group were not statistically different. There was no
>significant difference in pure tone audiometry (PTA), PTA2 (dB HL, mean
>+/- s) and WRS (%, mean +/- s) between the two groups (P > 0.05),
>therefore the hearing threshold of AD group (PTA = 26.3 +/- 8.5, PTA2 =
>29.1 +/- 8.7, WRS = 85.5 +/- 15.5) is lower than that of control group
>(PTA = 23.2 +/- 10.6, PTA2 = 26.2 +/- 11.8, WRS = 87.6 +/- 16.8). No
>significant difference was found between the two groups in audiometry
>reliability, acoustic immittance and ABR (P < 0.05). CONCLUSION: No
>significant difference was found between the peripheral hearing
>dysfunction of AD patients and that normal elderly people, i.e., PTA, PTA2
>and WRS were not related to MMSE.
>

>  Age Ageing. 2003 Mar;32(2):189-93.  Related Articles, Links
>

>The effects of improving hearing in dementia.
>
>Allen NH, Burns A, Newton V, Hickson F, Ramsden R, Rogers J, Butler S,
>Thistlewaite G, Morris J.
>
>York House, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9WL,
>UK. hallen@psy.cmht.nwest.nhs.uk
>
>BACKGROUND: audiological function is impaired in people with dementia and
>poor hearing is known to exaggerate the effects of cognitive deficits.
>OBJECTIVE: the objective of this study was to assess the effects of
>increasing auditory acuity by providing hearing aids to subjects with
>dementia who have mild hearing loss. METHOD: subjects were screened for
> [...]

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage. Multiple plans available.