Postdoctoral Fellowship

Title: Postdoctoral Fellowship
Northwestern University
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders

Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Study of Sensory - Neural Mechanisms Controlling the Voice

A postdoctoral position is available to study voice control in the Speech Physiology Lab at Northwestern University.  We study control of voice fundamental frequency and intensity during speech and singing using a sensorimotor perturbation paradigm.  Speakers or singers receive perturbed voice pitch or loudness feedback on line, and we analyze their vocal and EMG responses in an effort to understand neural mechanisms controlling the voice.  Subjects will be tested in a variety of speaking tasks and/or singing tasks.  We will also be applying topical anesthetic to the vocal folds and mechanical perturbations to the larynx to look at the influence of kinesthetic and/or proprioceptive receptors on the responses to pitch or loudness-shifted voice feedback.  EMG recording will be made from intrinsic laryngeal muscles concurrently with the voice perturbation studies. Opportunities also involve contributing to the refinement of a mathematical model of neural mechanisms controlling the voice.

The main laboratory is located on the Evanston campus of Northwestern University in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders.  We are also building a new lab at the Northwestern University Medical School.  Northwestern University has a large and active Neuroscience community and there are many opportunities for collaboration with neuroscientists in other departments. This research project is supported by a grant from NIDCD, NIH.

The position is available immediately, and we will be searching for a candidate until we fill the position.  Funding for the position is available for three or four years.

Applicants with experience in acoustics, speech science, voice, music, psychology, mathematical modeling or neurobiology are encouraged to apply.  Applicants should submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and the names and addresses of three references to:

     Charles R. Larson, Ph.D.
        Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
   2240 Campus Drive
       Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208

      clarson@northwestern.edu
http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/csd/faculty/Chuck_Larson/
     847-491-2424

--
Chuck Larson
Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
2240 Campus Dr.
Northwestern University
Evanston, IL 60208
Phone: 847-491-2424