Re: apparent increase in loudness

Yes, Fatima, I like your association, but when I made
this observation, I had not the feeling that
it had anything to do with the particular significance
of the sound, a crying baby, but more an acoustic
phenomenon. In a way like the apparent size of the moon
that looks much bigger when it is just above the horizon.
Could it be that a sound that is just above a masked threshold
"uses" in a sense the excitation caused by the masking sound?
Or could it be a case of "stochastic resonance"?

Leon