For Speech Understanding

Dear List,

        I have some questions confusing me. I am doing some signal
processing work to improve impaired persons' hearing.
Now I am focused on OHC and IHC damnification caused deaf.
        What I want to know is, in a speech signal, what are the important
cues to keep high intelligibility.      For example,
in single channel, phase infomation is not so important, while formants'
location and relative intensity are significative.
Is there some article discribe general facts influencing speech
understanding. These will tell me what to emphasize, what to
dismiss, what to keep, when I design the hearing compensation algorithms.

        Thank all.

xiao xiaonbo

Tsinghua Univ.

Beijing, China