Re: formant filtering

Can any one point to some specific references where some one has shown that
"narrower formant bandwidth leads to improved intelligibility"?

Tóth László wrote:
Pine.GHP.4.44.0302271053270.27127-100000@amadea.inf.u-szeged.hu">
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Eckard Blumschein wrote:

please don't take it amiss if I admit my guess: A narrower bandwidth at the
level of auditory nerve would not improve but on the contrary degradate
accuracy of hearing in general.

Then, psychoacoustic experiments that find that narrower formant bandwidth
improves intelligibility could help you revisit your theory.
I think this has already been shown many times, and our colleagues
(probably Mr. Sivaprasad himself?) could give us some references on
this.

Laszlo Toth
Hungarian Academy of Sciences *
Research Group on Artificial Intelligence * "Failure only begins
e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu * when you stop trying"
http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl *