Re: formant filtering

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Eckard Blumschein wrote:

> please don't take it amiss if I admit my guess: A narrower bandwidth at the
> level of auditory nerve would not improve but on the contrary degradate
> accuracy of hearing in general.

Then, psychoacoustic experiments that find that narrower formant bandwidth
improves intelligibility could help you revisit your theory.
I think this has already been shown many times, and our colleagues
(probably Mr. Sivaprasad himself?) could give us some references on
this.

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *   "Failure only begins
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *    when you stop trying"
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *