Re: data reduction: Ear damage by MP3, DVD and digital television?

Thanks, Jont, for sharing this hit:

http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~windle_c/Logologie/MP3-Gefahr/MP3-risk.
html

I hadn't thought you would be fishing in such waters ;-)

But, good that you did! I wonder if there has been any research at all on
the physiological effects of vastly reduced audio reproductions.

The concept of "perpetual calibration" in the auditory neural system surely
is a correct one, and spectrally reduced sound reproduction must have an
influence here.

I would assume, however, that it may be more likely to reduce the risk to
develop or evoke tinnitus, rather than increase this risk.

Many tinnitus patients would be useful subjects to test a possible
difference between conventional and vastly lossy sound reproduction. Is
anybody aware if such investigations have ever been run?

Martin

Martin Braun
Neuroscience of Music
S-671 95 Klassbol