Re: AUDITORY Digest - 7 Nov 2002 to 8 Nov 2002 (#2002-188)

My worry about this type of work is that the speech (with added reverb or noise) is often played back to the listener through a single loudspeaker, pair of loudspeakers or over headphones. I am not convinced that by presenting the listener with such an unrealistic sound field and a 'fake' source signal (by which I mean adding reverb on to the speech signal after it has been recorded) that we can really be confident in our conclusions of what they can/can't hear.
What do other people think about this type of testing?
-----Original Message-----
From: AUDITORY Research in Auditory Perception [mailto:AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA]On Behalf Of REDDY SIVAPRASAD
Sent: 09 November 2002 15:55
To: AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
Subject: Re: AUDITORY Digest - 7 Nov 2002 to 8 Nov 2002 (#2002-188)

Dear list,

       Sorry for interrupting the interesting discussion on high frequency hearing in humans. I have found another topic that may be inteersting to many of us. The recent studies by people like Nebelek and colleagues have shown that the reverberation has selective and deleterious effects on speech sound perception. I request the list to contribute their ideas about this topic. Thanking you,