static spectral alterations

Does anyone know of any peer-reviewed published papers on the
perceptual effect of static spectral alterations, such as might
occur due to room or speaker responses, on musical or other
types of sounds? The perceptual effect could be measured in
terms of sound source recognition, discrimination with respect
to original unaltered sources, or judgements of similarity to
the originals.

The only paper I know of that touches on the subject is by
Arthur Benade (J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 33, p. 218 (1985)).
His conclusion seemed to be that we can only recognise
musical instruments reliably in rooms that "average" sound
spectra when several notes are played. He played down the
importance of time-varation of spectra.

Jim

James W. Beauchamp
Professor Emeritus of Music and Electrical & Computer Engineering
2136 Music Bldg. MC-056
1114 W. Nevada, Urbana, IL 61801  USA
email: j-beauch@uiuc.edu
phone: +1-217-344-3307 (also: 217-244-1207 and 217-333-3691)
fax: +1-217-244-4585
WWW:  http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~j-beauch